Wednesday, August 31, 2022

work ethics of a Yugoslav

When I was a young boy my father told me that it's better to be a good shoemaker than a bad doctor.
I am born in a country that doesn't exist where it used to. Except everywhere else around the world.
Those two points were the groundwork for the person who I am today.
First taught me that whatever I do I should do the best I can and more importantly that I am solely responsible for my own performance. Latter is measured by how much my peers trust me with the work we share. Noone else. Company men are not good workers. There's no pride in being a company man.
Work will survive without the company men. It will not survive without you.
We have one flag, one anthem and one origin struggle. We come from a proud people who stood up to hate. In those days it was simple. You do not betray your neighbour. You do not leave people behind. If you have no options, you avenge your neighbour.
Nowdays it's not that time. But the ideas are the same. We don't abandon our neighbours because it's hard to resist. 
People will come and tell you that you are better than others because of a particular set of your qualities . Some you have because you built them. Others you had no control over. Like your skin colour. Religious background. My or your mom's ethnicity. Languages you will learn. 
It's important that you understand that there is never time in which it is acceptable to turn your head away.
Never turn your head away, my son.
We do not turn our heads away.
We embrace. We love. We accept.
We understand.
I faced hate my whole life. Sometimes it meant I would have to do things that wouldn't be understood immediately. 
Sometimes it meant there are rumors that I did things that were illegal. But legal is not always right.
If you have to choose between being right and kind, be kind. 
It's more important to sleep sound than to sleep well.
I rise to Hej Sloveni. You will hold some other anthem in your heart. 
But values we hold high determin us for eternity.
Be kind.

I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive